The start of a new year seems to bring out the partier in everyone. I myself, have never understood all the hoopla. Ronnie, Kia & I went to his niece's house on New Years Eve and played board games with the family. It was nice to do something different as the last two NYE I have spent at home with Kia, as Ronnie has always had to work. To actually get the opportunity to kiss my love at midnight was especially gratifying, as the legend states, the first person you come into contact with when midnight strikes will set the tone for your happiness and fortune in the coming year. With all the uncertainties surrounding Ronnie's medical issues, we need all the good fortune we can surrounding us.
We left "early" for us. Ronnie's usually the last one to leave whenever we go to someone's celebration. His intentions were to be able to get some sleep before having to be at work at 8:00 a.m. However, once home he was not in the mood to sleep, but instead listen to music and dance. The three of us had a great time as he was blaring his stereo and singing the early morning hours away. He even took the time to give Kia some lessons on his drum set which she just loved. The moment that will always stand out for me was when he grabbed me and we slow danced to "Down on Mainstreet" by Bob Seger. As I left the room and watched as he and Kia continued to bang on those drums my eyes started to burn with tears. I wonder if we will have the chance to celebrate NYE again like this?
I'm trying to be very optimistic about this coming year. I keep thinking "we will beat this", but then again I'm very scared. You see, Ronnie who already suffers from COPD (possibly caused by his time spent guarding a water treatment plant in Iraq and being exposed to the chemical sodium dichromate) has now been diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. It's a very confusing time as there is no treatment for him until he starts to show symptoms. So right now, we seem to be waiting for him to get sick... which is heartbreaking. I've done some research and have gotten him to agree to trying green tea and grape seed extract in hopes the antioxidants will keep him healthy. After all I have gone through to make a life with him, I just hope beyond hope we get to live that life truly together.
Sunday, January 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment